This post is dedicated to wonderful vintage Japanese vanities which are ornamented with deeply symbolic Shinto imagery.
Set atop the mother of pearl lid is a person pulling a rickshaw. One occupant of the rickshaw is holding a parasol. This scene depicted on the lid is possibly that of a bride and groom. Rickshaws are still used in Shinto weddings. Both the bride and groom are taken by this form of transport to the shrine. Japanese wedding ceremonies are usually attended by a small group of close family members who will walk to the shrine. Traditional Shinto weddings would often take place at a shrine which might be in the home town.
The International Silver Company operated from 1898–1983. The company was also styled as ISC. The company was formed Meriden, Connecticut.
At one time this business was the largest company in the world specialising in the production of silverware.
In 1806 William Colgate founded his business in New York. The warehouse premises were located at 6 Dutch Street, NY. The firm was involved in the manufacturing of soap and candles. It may seem a little strange to us but their range of soap included brown soap, as well as pale coloured soap. They also offered fancy soaps which were fashioned into unusual shapes.
In recent history this fascination was fuelled by the Napoleonic War in the Middle East.
Barnet Henry Joseph was born in Penzance, England in 1837. His father was Henry Joseph & his mother was Amelia Emily Joseph. Barnet married Isabelle Blanckensee, who was the daughter of the well known jeweller Solomon Blanckensee and Julia Joseph. In 1865 this manufacturing and wholesale jewellers was founded by Barnet Henry Joseph and his brother Henry Joseph. The site they occupied was set in the heart of the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter. The address of the manufacturing premises is listed as 18, 19 & 20 Frederick Street.
This post includes Le Rage patent drawings, advertisements and vintage powder compacts.
The company which manufactured Le Rage brand accessories was known as Evans Components Co. Ltd. The firm was located at the Paragon Works, 37 Hockley Hill, Birmingham 18, England.