In 1860 one of Jonathan Mappin's great-grandsons, John Mappin, started his own firm which was named Mappin & Company.
Two years later the firm became known as Mappin, Webb & Co. when John Mappin was joined by his brother-in-law George Webb.
The first Mappin & Webb store opened in 1860 at the prestigious address of 77-78 Oxford Street, London.
The company expanded internationally and received royal commissions from all over the world. The monarchs were so impressed by the excellence of the goods produced royal warrants followed. The name of this enterprise became synonymous with excellence and symbolizing the best of British.