Antique and collectible history

Antique and collectible history RSS



Silversmith William Neale & Sons & The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter

The firm was established by William Neale in 1850 in Birmingham. His mark was entered at the Birmingham assay office in April 1862 and in the Chester assay office in September 1882. Later the firm was known as William Neale & Sons as a partnership of William Neale senior, William Neale junior & Arthur Neale. The partnership required new larger premises and so a purpose built premises was erected at 29 Warstone Lane, Birmingham (1896). In 1905 the firm became a limited company - William Neale & Sons Ltd. In 1910 they relocated to 34 Cox Street, St. Paul’s Square, Birmingham. In 1942 the firm was absorbed by Suckling Ltd.  

Continue reading



The Stratton Piccadilly Four Leaf Clover Shaped Compact Mirror 1959 / 1960

The Stratton “Piccadilly” is one of our all time favourite powder compacts. It is  as beautiful as it is so elusive. We have only seen this model finished with turquoise, red and maroon enamel. There were only two known years of production 1959 & 1960 & this is the only Stratton compact with the lucky four leaf clover shape. It has the most beautiful enamel with gilt accents - the elegant quatrefoil design so splendid to see. The lid decoration shows work of the highest calibre. Tiny flowers surrounded by cream enamel set off by gilded borders, the red borders are the perfect colour / color contrast. This model is noted in the 1959 catalogue as “clover leaf shape”. The enamel...

Continue reading



A Little Known History Of Jarrett, Rainsford & Laughton ( Stratton & Co.)

In 1860 Stephen Jarrett and Charles Rainsford joined in partnership. Jarrett was a pin manufacturer and jeweller.  Rainsford was a commercial traveller. The partners took on premises at 7 Broad Street, Islington, Birmingham. The success of the venture enabled Jarrett & Rainsford to move new premises at 48 Broad Street in 1870. In 1898 the firm took on an office boy who exhibited much promise. This young man was named George A. Laughton. The partners were so impressed with him that by 1904 he was rewarded with the position of assistant manager.   

Continue reading



Ciner Jewellery & Compact Mirrors History & Heritage

In 1892 Emanuel Ciner established his jewellery firm, which specialized in  fine jewellery / jewelry  on Maiden Lane in Lower Manhattan. A small and highly skilled set of jewellers, artisans & artists created pieces that would have been described today as high jewellery. This remarkably inventive team sought to fine tune jewellery making.                         One of their patents was for an “Improved Ear-Ring”. Ciner was a remarkable man in many respects and his work ethic no doubt propelled the company to be one of the most well known in America.. Emanuel Ciner was still working until 1958 when he was aged 92.

Continue reading



Gucci A Brief History

                                           Guccio Gucci 26 March (26 March 1881 – 2 January 1953)   Guccio Gucci was born in Florence on 26 March 1881. Gucci was an Italian-British businessman and a legendary designer and it is said that he became fascinated by the stylish guests at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a lift boy in the early 1900s. It was not just the high quality clothes of the wealthy guests that inspired Gucci but also their well made luggage. On his return to Florence, Gucci created travel bags. The House of Gucci was founded in 1921. Originally it was...

Continue reading