Georg Adam Scheid History And Heritage
The imposing building shown above was once the premises of Georg Adam Scheid. The premises located at 85 Gumpendorfer Straße, Vienna, were built in 1808 by Jakob Hainz. In 1830 expansion of this building took place followed by a complete redesign by Johann Philipp Theiss and Johann Sturany which lasted from 1881 - 1884, transforming the place into a palace - a Baroque palace with a gabled central projection, baroque window decor and an elaborate wrought-iron balcony.
Georg Adam Scheid was born on July 28 1838 in Schönau Baden, Germany. When he was sixteen years old he began an apprenticeship. During this time he worked in both Pforzheim and Stuttgart. Pforzheim is famous as a center of jewellery making - so much so that it is known colloquially as Goldstadt (Golden City).
In 1858 he travelled to Vienna to work for the goldsmith Michael Markowitsch.
Markowitsch was impressed enough to partner with Scheid in 1862, when the firm was renamed Markowitsch & Scheid. Scheid also married one of Michael’s daughters.
The business premises were located at number 8 Sandwirtgasse. Later on the firm moved to 83 Gumpendorfer Straße. Georg became famous for his exquisite creations, specially those adorned with niello.
MARK OF MARKOWITSCH & SCHEID (1862 - 1881)
In recognition of the partnership a new mark was struck, as shown above. When Markowitsch and Scheid ended their partnership it was convenient for the Markowitsch family to keep this mark, as it was ideal for Michael Markowitsch & Son. His son, Adolf, followed him into business. Adolf was to go on to own the firm Markowitsch & Scheid. The company ceased trading in 1898.
On leaving the partnership Scheid moved next door to 85 Gumpendorfer Straße. His firm was known as G. A. Scheid. The venture was so successful that up to three hundred workers were employed at their manufacturing premises.
G.A.S. WAX SEAL
An enamel, silver gilt and rock crystal seal set with half pearls c.1900.
Georg A Scheid is well known for his exquisite creations which include vesta, cigarette and vanity cases. His firm also crafted silver accessories, jewellery boxes and writing sets which are still hugely popular today.
GEORG ADAM SCHEID SILVER BELT BUCKLE
As well as being a talented silversmith and artist, Scheid was an astute businessman. In 1888 he opened his own refinery where precious metal wastes could be rendered for use once more. This latter day recycling plant was so productive that it more than met the requirements of Scheid, who then exported the rest of the refined precious metals all over the world.
He established subsidiaries in Budapest (1891), Prague (1920) and Bucharest (1923).
He is said to have dominated this market.
In 1894 he was joined in partnership by his nephew and two sons, Arthur and Robert. When Georg Adam Scheid was seventy four years old he retired from the business. This was in 1911 and in the same year Robert and his younger brother Ludwig took over the management of the company.
SILVER MOUNTED GLASS VASE
A delightful small silver mounted Loetz glass vase crafted c.1900 by Georg Adam Scheid.
SOME GEORG ADAM SCHEID MARKS
As you can imagine World War I had a devastating effect on the business. A complete drop off of overseas trade and the dire economic situation in Austria and Germany led to the liquidation of the part of the business involved in making decorative pieces.
While the liquidation of the business making decorative silver and gold accessories was the only sensible decision, the refinery continued to trade.
THE LAST RESTING PLACE OF GEORG ADAM SCHEID
Georg Adam Scheid died in 1921. His body was interred in the family tomb at the Evangelischer Friedhof Simmering, Vienna.
In 1962 the refinery Scheid founded originally to provide him with recycled precious metals was merged with the Ludwig Roessler GmbH. This formation led to the founding of Ögussa GmbH.
Ögussa is still located at 85 Gumpendorfer Straße. The plaques seen on the magnificent facade pay tribute to Scheid and Roessler.
GOLD - UND - SILBER
SCHEID UND ROESSLER
1862 Foundation of Markowitsch & Scheid Jewellery Production in Vienna.
1873 Foundation of Degussa in Frankfurt In 1843 the Senate of the Free City of Frankfurt leased the city's newly built precious metals refinery to Friedrich Ernst Roessler, the head of the new Frankfurt Mint. Roessler started the precious metal refining operations on January 2. This firm would later become known as Degussa AG.
1877 Foundation of Louis Rössler, trade and purchase of precious metals.
1923 Degussa AG bought shares in Louis Rössler.
DEGUSSA FRANKFURT AM MAIN C.1930
1962 Scheid und Rössler merge to become Ögussa.
1990 Degussa acquired 100% of Ögussa.
2003 Degussa Edelmetalle becomes part of Umicore Brussels.